GoBook XR-1 Rugged Notebook with Integrated GPS
This might be just the perfect laptop if you’re planning a climb up Mt. Kilimanjaro.
The GoBook XR-1 Rugged Notebook can take some serious abuse, that’s for sure. It is engineered to pass MIL-STD 810F specifications, can operate in -10°F to 140°F withstand vibration, water and dust intrusion, being dropped 26 times from a distance of 3 feet, and high altitudes and humidity.
All the while, providing decent computing power for a newer laptop. Featuring an Intel® Core™ Duo – 1.83GHz processor, up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, and ATI M22-CSP/32 external graphics controller, emovable, shock-mounted, encased, SATA disk drives with built in drive heater for secure boot up and performance in extreme-cold temperatures you can’t ask for much more in the outback. It’s also Microsoft Vista Capable for whenever that gets released.
One might think you’d have to haul a lead-weight around to have all this, but that’s not the case. Coming in at 6.8lbs, it isn’t your typical ultra-portable with a 12.1″ screen but it’s not going to kill your back either.
Other neat features include:
- The 12.1″ outdoor-viewable transmissive XGA display comes with built-in touchscreen capability
- Full-sized NiteVue™ ‘glow-in-the-dark’ keyboard. Optional backlit keyboard available for extended night time use
- Choice of easy carrying options: front or back mounted, “bat hook” or briefcase-style hard handles, soft handle, or shoulder strap
- Integrated based fingerprint scanner
- Integrated CAC (Smart Card) Reader
- Stealth Mode: allows boot up without sound or light emissions
- Fully-integrated GPS
- Your choice of Media Bay: DVD/CD-RW, DVD-RW/CD-RW, 2nd Battery, None
Be prepared to drop $4330 for the base model.