Mountainsmith Borealis AT Camera Pack
Mountainsmith Borealis AT Camera Pack – Ideal for the digital photographer.
In this digital age, and with more and more people “flashpacking” out there, it amazes me that there are not more camera backpacks that feature a dedicated laptop compartment.
Regardless of your reason for wanting to carry your laptop with the rest of your camera gear, you will be happy to know that Mountainsmith has crafted a pack that allows you to do both.
The Mountainsmith Borealis AT Camera Pack is an all around serious camera backpack. It has so much to offer the serious digital photographer that it is pretty much a mobile office. If you have any reason what so ever to need to carry your laptop around with the rest of your camera gear, the Mountainsmith Borealis AT Camera Pack will be your pack of choice. One feature that is nice as far as the whole laptop thing goes is that it can hold up to a 16 inch screen laptop.
As far as camera bag features go, the Mountainsmith Borealis AT Camera Pack has just as many, if not more, than many of the other camera backpacks out there. While there are a lot of big features worth sharing, it is the smaller ones that really impress me. For example, many camera backpacks feature scarce padding on eh bottom of the bag which is just silly to me. The Mountainsmith Borealis AT Camera Pack however features ample padding on teh bottom of the bag. Another nice feature is that while the pack is made up of very weather resistant materials, it also features a built in rain cover.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Main compartment features panels to organize contents
- Bottom clamshell pocket is heavily padded to protect your cameras and lenses; adjustable dividers allow you to customize the layout for storing your photo gear
- Padded, 16 in. laptop compartment has a side entry for easy access
- 2 laminated mesh internal pockets help organize accessories
- Contoured shoulder straps and padded hipbelt provide comfort and even distribution of weight
- Hipbelt can be tucked out of the way when not in use
- Molded rubber haul handles on top and side make it easy to move the pack short distances
- 2 front pockets hold small, often-used items; 1 pocket features fleece lining for eyewear or other fragile contents
- Side mesh pocket holds a water bottle or other small items
- Compression straps take up slack and stabilize the load
- Removable storm cover provides additional protection from the elements
- Easy-access tripod straps allow you to quickly pack and unpack your tripod
- Total internal volume measures 1,282 cu. in. (19 x 11.5 x 8.25 in.)
- Mountainsmith Borealis AT camera pack is built tough with YKK zippers, Hypalon reinforcements and 430-denier ballistic and 420-denier nylon fabric
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
To me, the one thing that would really make the Mountainsmith Borealis AT Camera Pack rock was if it wasn’t as expensive as outer camera backpacks. While it is rather expensive, at $179 it is still cheaper than many of the big name camera bag manufactures camera backpacks. Whats not to like about that?
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: