Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent
Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent – More than enough living space.
Are you still using a family camping tent that has to be transported around in a huge moving box that weighs a ton? Well now is the time to ditch that antique family tent for something new. Tent design has come a long way over the years. Tents just keep getting lighter and lighter, and larger family size tents are no exception. It used to be that if you wanted a lightwieght four person tent, you had to get a small backpacking style tent. Those are great for backcountry travel, but can be a little too crowded for family camp outs.
The Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent on the other hand seems to defy all conventional thoughts when it comes to the design of a family tent. Not only is the Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent extremely large and roomy, but it is also extremely lightweight. Inf act, it might be one of the lightest family style camping tents I have ever reviewed. When you add in the tent, poles, rainfly, and footprint; the Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent only weighs in at just over seven pounds.
While the fact that the Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent is lightwieght is a great selling point, of of the best family features is the amount of room this tent gives you. Not only does the Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent offer plenty of square feet, but there is also a ton of hear room. The Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent can easily fit a family of four and offer each occupant there own person space. With the rainfly in place, there are also two vestibules, which can help free up space inside the tent as well.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Offers a unique tunnel dome design: like a tunnel, it’s big on the inside and livable as all get out, and like a dome, it’s freestanding and easy to pitch
- Large D-shaped mesh doors and steep mesh walls provide great ventilation and views outside; each vestibule protects gear and provides protected entrances
- Lightweight and strong DAC Featherlite NSL poles with press-fit connectors use an anodization process that lessens environmental impact
- Hub/pole design reduces the possibility of pitching errors and aids in the speed of the pitch
- Ultralight Clips and color-coded main door and fly keep setup simple and quick
- DAC Jake’s Feet at tent corners offer a secure connection and allow easy attachment of poles, rainfly and footprint (sold separately); release them with a quick twist
- SuperSeal Floor combines the benefits of catenary and bathtub floors; raised PVC-free side seams are taped for complete waterproofness
- Includes stuff sacks, stakes and guyline
- Average minimum weight specification is based on tent, rainfly and poles only
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
There is no argument that the Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent is a great four person family style tent. The only real drawback with the Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent is its price tag. For many families that only camp out a few times a year, the $400+ price tag might be a bit much. But if you are an active outdoor family who camps out a few times a month, the Sierra Designs Lightning XT 4 Tent might be the perfect investment.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: