Chaco Z/1 Unaweep Sandals
Chaco Z/1 Unaweep Sandals – The basic Chaco minus the toe strap.
If you are hardcore into any water sport, you know that sandal brands have their own little cult following of sorts. These cults can easily be broken down into Keen, Teva, and Chaco sandals. I myself am a Chaco kind of guy. It seems that among the crowd of Chaco followers, there are two cliques in the crowd; those who like the toe strap and those who don’t. It used to be that if you didn’t like the toe strap you would have to pull the toe strap out which was really just a pain and something that couldn’t be undone.
Obviously Chaco caught on to this and did what any good business would do, created a version of their sandal without a toe strap. The result is the Chaco Z/1 Unaweep Sandals. The Chaco Z/1 Unaweep Sandals has all of the great features of the Chaco Z/2 Unaweep Sandals, but without the annoying toe strap. If you aren’t sure which version of the Chaco Unaweep Sandals to buy, I highly suggest you try them out. Keep in mind that if you have never worn a sandal with a toe strap before it will feel weird at first.
The Chaco Z/2 Unaweep Sandals, the one WITH the toe strap is good if you do a lot of serious hiking in wet conditions, through creeks, doing kayaking, etc. But, if you are just looking for a nice pair of sandals for the summer time and for light day hikes, the Chaco Z/1 Unaweep Sandals are perfect. They give plenty of grip, are super comfortable, and will last forever. That said, there are plenty of raft guides, and kayakers I know that wear the Chaco Z/1 Unaweep Sandals with no problem.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Infinitely adjustable polyester strapping system uses pull-through design to give you a secure fit while avoiding the bulk of extra buckles and straps
- Polyester webbing dries faster than nylon and maintains a consistent fit in all conditions
- New lighter weight polyurethane midsole/topsole units offer durable, dependable cushioning and support
- BioCentric footbed design with molded arches offers extra support, reliable stability, pronation control and all-day comfort
- Vibram Unaweep outsoles combine the features of both the classic Chaco Colorado and Terreno outsoles into a versatile new hybrid
- Non-marking rubber lugs are spaced for virtually self-cleaning performance; outsoles deliver dependable traction on land and submerged underwater
- Sandal design can be resoled for a lasting relationship and easing of environmental stress
- Toss into washing machine for easy cleaning or clean by hand with scrub brush, baking soda and water; avoid bleach
- Proudly carries the Seal of Acceptance from the American Podiatric Medical Association
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
I am a huge fan of Chaco sandals. I myself use the Chaco Z/2 Unaweep Sandals because of all the rafting and hiking I do. But it is all personal preference really. My favorite part of the Chaco Z/1 Unaweep Sandals is just how well made they are. I have had the same pair for 3 years now and the bottom of them still look brand new. Considering I wear them everyday, thats pretty impressive in my book.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: