Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Water Shoes
Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Water Shoes – Toe socks meets water shoe.
With just a single glance at the Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Water Shoes you will notice they are from you typical water shoe. These suckers your old school water shoes from the eighties, no these water shoes are all kinds of new and strange. The Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Water Shoes take the idea of toe socks and implement them into their water shoe design with the idea that they will give your more balance and grip with less materials. While these water shoes are great for paddlers, I’m not sure how much purpose they serve outside of the boat.
I don’t own a pair of these water shoes, but I have tried them out a few times and work with a number of river guides who wear them on a daily basis. Let me start out by telling you why I don’t like them, and then I will follow up with why the other raft guides do like them. My main problem here is that when you wear the Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Water Shoes, your feet end up staying wet for a long time. Because they offer such a secure fit, there is little room for air to get under the fabric and help it dry fast. Thus, your feet end up staying wet for a long time, which is no good in any sort of activity.
Many of the raft guides change out of their Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Water Shoes between trips to let their feet dry out and lets the shoes do the same. That’s just a bit annoying for me. That said, the one nice thing about wearing the Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Water Shoes is that they almost feel like you aren’t wearing any shoes at all. They give you just enough protection on the bottom of the shoes that you can walk over rough terrain like gravel without hurting your feet, but not so much that you feel like you are wearing shoes. The individual toes just aid in this feeling.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Individual toe slots enhance dexterity, control and stability to deliver a natural walking motion
- Thin, abrasion-resistant polyamide stretch fabric fits low on feet and offers quick-drying comfort; breathable stretch-mesh panels keep debris and grit out
- Instep straps secure with rip-and-stick closures and are attached to thin webbing straps that wrap around heels to provide a secure, supportive fit
- Antibacterial footbeds absorb moisture and help control odors
- Vibram soles are designed to follow the contours of your feet and toes; made of nonmarking Vibram TC1 performance rubber
- Razor siping on soles provides sure grip on wet and slippery surfaces
- Recommended for light trekking, climbing, canyoneering, running, fitness training, yoga, Pilates, travel and most water sports
- May help you feel an increased sense of balance, expanded range of motion and visibly improved posture
- In order to allow your feet to adapt to using different muscles, gradually increase usage of these shoes
- Machine washable in cold water; air dry only
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
Personally, I would only ever buy the Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Water Shoes to wear as a pair of kayaking booties. That said, they aren’t bad shoes, they just aren’t for me. If you are interested in the Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Water Shoes, I suggest finding someone who owns a pair and talking them about what they think of the shoes before you buy a pair.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: