The North Face Terra 40
The North Face Terra 40 – A women’s midsized backpack.
If a standard daypack is too small, but a backcountry pack is more than you need, the North Face Terra 40 is just what you need. Based on the popular Terra pack, the North Face Terra 40 is a smaller version that is made especially for women.
The North Face Terra 40 is large enough for day hikes that require a lot of gear or layer, but also has enough room for overnight hikes. The North Face Terra 40 has number of features to make it ideal for any situation. There are plenty of places to lash extra gear, two water bottle pockets, dual daisy chains, and much more.
Designed for women, the North Face Terra 40 has a unique harness system designed for the female form. The shoulder straps of the North Face Terra 40 are placed closer together to accommodate for women’s more narrow shoulders and smaller torso. The sternum strap I adjustable to fit a wide range of busts comfortably.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why it rocks:
- Simple and easy to adjust to fit a wide range of torso lengths
- PE framesheet gives the Terra 40 stability
- Top-loading access to main compartment
- Bottom access for stowing a sleeping bag
- Front pocket with mesh divider
- X-bungee for carrying a jacket outside of the pack
- Dual daisy chains and tool loops for clipping on extra gear
- Two side water-bottle pockets
- Side compression straps
- Hydration compatible (reservoir not included)
- Hipbelt pockets
- Requires some skillful packing for winter time overnighters
Why it bites:
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
If you’re looking for a good women’s pack that is versatile and comfortable, the North Face Terra 40 is where its at. There’s a reason this is such a popular pack, besides its quality craftsmanship, it also sports a pretty price tag.
Looking to buy? Check out these sites: