Marmot Eiger 35
Marmot Eiger 35—a classic, comfortable all-around daypack that’s great for alpine style climbs in the backcountry
Ever since I bought my Marmot Diva 45 backpack a few summers ago, I have been a big fan of the Marmot brand and their products. Their bags are not only super comfortable and lightweight, but also have a ton of great features that make them ideal packs for a backpacking trip through Panama or a 3-day tour of the Colorado backcountry.
The Marmot Eiger 35 is no exception to this rule. However, while the Diva 45 was built to be a women’s specific bag meant for longer overnight trips (though it does have a ski carry function), the Eiger 35 is designed more as a day pack specifically with alpine uses in mind.
Despite the Eiger’s smaller, day pack size, it still comes with the same pre-curved shoulder straps and split-wrap waist belt as the larger Marmot packs—which makes for excellent suspension for a small pack. This suspension also makes it an ideal pack for those looking to carry their skis as well as keeping the pack close to your body (an essential when skiing or snowboarding with a pack).
The Eiger is specifically designed to be able to comfortably carry heavy loads of climbing equipment, and ice axe loops and ski straps also make it ideal for winter and ski use. The pack also has a removable lid, a hydration pocket and port and a unique ski carry system.
The top-loading design also ensures the bag’s weight stays low. The removable lid also has a zippered top pocket and internal mesh pocket, making it easy to organize you gear.
The best feature on this pack, however, is definitely the design made for comfort—which makes hauling your planks up that steep ridge all that much better. Shoulder-saving compression-molded back panel along with ergonomic S-curved shoulder straps with Dri-Lex Mesh for sweat-drying comfort.
>>Check out more of the best ski and snowboard backpacks
The Quick & Dirty:
Where you can get one:
Buy Marmot Eiger 35 Backpack $110.00
Why it Rocks:
- • Top-loading pack has three pockets in the removable lid: a zippered top pocket with an internal mesh pocket and another one under the lid
• Stretch adjuster shoulder strap lets you adjust the torso length with a velcro closure strap that runs down the framesheet
• Padded split-waisted hipbelt helps stabilize the load during rides and aids in transferring weight to the hips as you walk
• Hipbelt pockets let you stash small essentials (such as snacks or small digital camera) for quick access without having to stop and dig around in pack
• HDPE framesheet combines with a single aluminum center stay to provide an optimal blend of stiffness and torsional flex while supporting heavy loads
• Hydration-compatible design features reservoir pocket and drink tube exit port for on-the-go hydration (reservoir sold separately)
• Keeping straps out of the way, dual ice axe loops, lash straps and cord-lock retainers all tuck-away when not holding tools and equipment
• Four side-compression straps stabilize the load and double as a ski carrying system for winter outings
• Ski carrying system lets you carry skis diagonally across the back of the pack
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
If you are looking for a backcountry pack that will stay comfortable even when carrying heavy loads, than you can’t do much better than the Marmot Eiger 35. While not ideal for those looking for a pack for quick trips in and out of the gates or the resort or the occasional day-trip into the backcountry, tis pack is designed with the multi ski-day tour in mind. If you love multi-day backcountry trips or doing hut-to-hut cross country ski trips, then this bag is ideal.
This pack equips you days and nights in the backcountry with plenty of pocket space, bungees for ice tools, and a back- and shoulder-saving compression-molded back panel. You can carry extra gear in the front stash flap while you keep snacks in the waist belt pocket and extra H2O in the side. For shorter trips, you can also remove some of the weight from your shoulders by redistributing your pack load with the hip hugger waist belt; waist rack or remove weight from the pack altogether by removing the lod and the framesheet.
Looking to buy? Here’s where you can get one:
Buy Marmot Eiger 35 Backpack $110.00