Kindle DX—the bigger, larger display new kindle built for textbooks, newspapers and magazines.
Travelers and flashpackers went crazy over the new Kindle 2 when it was released earlier this year (including BootsnAll CEO Sean Keener who took a Kindle on his 4-month trip). Especially when on the road for longer periods of time on non-English speaking countries, the Kindle can be a great way to have an endless supply of great reading material without having to haul around a bunch of paperbacks. Riding the wave of the Kindle 2 success, Amazon has now announced the release of the new, bigger 9.7 inch Kindle DX.
The Kindle DX is designed specifically to be used for reading text books, magazines, newspapers and print items that need and merit a larger display. The Kindle DX is upper slim at just 1/3 of an inch thick (as thin as most magazines) and has a 9.7 digital e-ink screen that reads like real paper.
The DX also comes outfitted with 3G wireless, allowing you to download books on the go (all without having to pay monthly fees or hunting down wi-fi hot spots). U.S. International newspapers like The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal and magazines like Time and The New Yorker can even be auto-delivered wirelessly to you Kindle. Like the Kindle 2, the Kindle DX also features a text-to-speech feature
>>Want the smaller version of the Kindle? Read more about the Kindle 2.
The quick &dirty:
Where you can get one:
Kindle DX $489
Why it Rocks
- Slim: Just over 1/3 of an inch, as thin as most magazines
- Carry Your Library: Holds up to 3,500 books, periodicals, and documents
- Beautiful Large Display: 9.7″ diagonal e-ink screen reads like real paper; boasts 16 shades of gray for clear text and sharp images
- Auto-Rotating Screen: Display auto-rotates from portrait to landscape as you turn the device so you can view full-width maps, graphs, tables, and Web pages
- Built-In PDF Reader: Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go
- Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle DX, anytime, anywhere; no monthly fees, no annual contracts, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
- Books In Under 60 Seconds: You get free wireless delivery of books in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
- Long Battery Life: Read for days without recharging
- Read-to-Me: With the text-to-speech feature, Kindle DX can read newspapers, magazines, blogs, and books out loud to you, unless the book’s rights holder made the feature unavailable
- Big Selection, Low Prices: Over 275,000 books; New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are only $9.99, unless marked otherwise
- More Than Books: U.S. and international newspapers including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, magazines including The New Yorker and Time, plus popular blogs, all auto-delivered wirelessly
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites:
Kindle DX $489