Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter
Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter – simple and reliable water filter for hiking and backpacking
The Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter is a step up from the classic Katadyn Hiker Water Filter and features a removable filter protector to extend the life of your cartridge, plus additional connectors to make filling hydration packs and water bottles easier.
The lightweight and simplistic design of the Hiker Pro makes it one of the best hiking filters. A pre-filter keeps out all of the big particulates than can reduce the lifespan of a filter and then the main filter removes 99.9% of protozoa and bacteria.
Unlike the SteriPEN purification systems that use ultraviolet light to purify, the Katadyn Hiker Pro can purify water that is high in sediment. A good thing if you are out of water and all you can find is silty or muddy streams.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can find on:
Why they rock:
- Lightweight and easy-to-use design makes this filter a great choice for all-around use
- Includes field maintenance kit with cleanable filter protector to extend cartridge life in challenging conditions
- Quick-connect fittings permit easy installation and removal of input and output hoses
- Filter physically removes particles, protozoa and bacteria down to 0.3 microns in size, including Giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidium and others
- Glass-fiber element is pleated for increased surface area to handle silt and muddy water
- Activated-carbon core adsorbs chemicals and pesticides to improve taste of water
- Pre-filter at hose inlet filters to 150 microns, removing larger contaminants before they reach the main filter to increase its life span
- Quick-connect fittings allow direct attachment to drinking tube (1/4”) of your hydration pack
- Ergonomic pump handle is comfortable and easy to pump
- Includes a carry sack and bottle adapter that fits most water bottles
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
I’ve used the Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter for years without any problems or bellyaches. It is super easy to use and the water tastes great. In other reviews, some people have complained about the pump handle breaking or the housing splitting but I have had no such problems. It is always a good idea to carry a backup water treatment plan like iodine tablets or other purification tablets when you head out into the backcountry.
Looking to buy? Here’s where you can get one: