GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent
GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent – Cool ultra light 2 person tent.
I have only recently started taking a liking to the minimalist type shelters like the GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent. It wasn’t that I was against them, it was just that if I wanted to save weight, I would rather use a backpacking hammock like the Hennesy Hammock rather than a simple lightweight tent. While these backpacking hammocks are great if you are hiking alone or if you buddy has one too, they don’t work too well to house two people. For times where you need to house more than yourself, but still want to keep your pack weight down, there is the GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent
With the GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent you get the same basic elements of the GoLite Shangri-La 3 Tent, but on a slightly smaller scale and with a different shape. What I think is cool about the GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent is all the extra add ons you can get for it. Some people aren’t ready for a lightweight shelter that is essentially nothing more than a glorified rain fly. These additional pieces you can buy for the tent make it a little bit easier for those new to this kind of tent. It also makes the tent more versatile for when traveling to bug heavy areas or extremely wet areas. Additional add ons include an inner bug mesh lining and a bathtub floor.
Believe it or not, the GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent can actually be setup to be a four season tent when combined with the add ons mentioned above. Out of the box however, it is still an impressive 3 season tent that does an amazing job at protecting you and your gear from the elements. Ideally, the GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent is setup with two telescoping trekking poles. But, if you don’t use poles, the tent can also be setup using the external loops on the tent peaks. So, just how light is the GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent you ask? Only about a mere 26 ounces.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Shangri-La 2 is simple to pitch and sheds wind and weather brilliantly; includes 1 zippered door
- Pitch it with 2 adjustable trekking poles, sold separately; external peak loops also allow shelter to be suspended without poles
- Dual roof vents backed by no-see-um mesh maximize air flow
- Reflective stake-out loops with line tensioners provide a taut pitch and easy setup; reflective zipper pulls provide nighttime visibility
- Extra guy-out loops are positioned for strongest possible pitches in varying conditions
- 2 internal mesh pockets help keep things organized inside the tent
- Silicone-impregnated ripstop nylon is twice as strong as polyurethane-coated nylon; it is self-healing in nature and highly rip resistant
- Package includes stuff sacks and 6 Y-stakes
- Optional add-ons, sold separately: Bathtub floor (footprint) and Nest (inner bug tent)
- Average minimum weight is 26 ounces
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
From what I have seen when it comes to ultra light backpacking tents such as this, the GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent seems to be the most versatile for sure. That feature alone is what really sells me on the this tent design. The fact that the GoLite Shangri-La 2 Tent is only 26 ounces and just over a $100 bucks is pretty outstanding as well!
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: