Astral Buoyancy LDB PFD
Astral Buoyancy LDB PFD – Eco friendly life jacket.
I have been a whitewater rafting guide for several years now. I think that makes me pretty qualified to talk about life jackets and PFD’s. The Astral brand of life jackets is pretty much the only brand I have ever owned. I have tried out almost every life jacket under the sun, but always go back to the Astral brand. There aren’t enough good things to say about the Astral company and their gear. Their life jackets are some of the toughest and most comfortable life jackets when it comes to whitewater paddling. The Astral Buoyancy LDB PFD is especially comfortable if you paddle in humid or muggy conditions.
One note worthy thing about the Astral Buoyancy LDB PFD that isn’t really related to how well it works, is that it is one of the many “green” life jackets in the Astral line. What makes a life jacket green you ask? Well the flotation material is organically grown and hand washed for one. The second is, that after years of wear, once your life jacket has had it, you can simply dump the flotation into your compost pile and not worry about polluting the ground.
Now lets talk about some paddling specific features of the Astral Buoyancy LDB PFD. The Astral Buoyancy LDB PFD has cut that has a lot to do with what made the Astral jackets popular. The Astral Buoyancy LDB PFD sits a lot lower on your body than typical life jackets. This allows for a much more comfortable wear while rafting and kayaking. You aren’t constantly brushing up against your life jacket and your life jacket doesn’t move around as much when you paddle.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Organically grown, hand-cleaned kapok material is sealed in a lightweight, radio-frequency welded pillow for durable and gently conforming flotation
- Sustainably harvested, kapok fiber is recyclable after a long life of service—simply cut open flotation bladder and empty into compost pile
- Back panels are made from polyethylene closed-cell foam for durable buoyancy and easy recycling
- Thin back panels enhance comfort when paddling kayaks with high seatbacks
- Durable nylon shell is abrasion and UV resistant for long life
- Low-cut neckline and narrow chest-lines help eliminate chafing and improve mobility
- Chimney Vent internal chest strap lets you unzip PFD while maintaining the fit secure
- Wicking mesh lining absorbs excess water and dries quickly for enhanced comfort
- Dial in the fit using the two adjustable one-inch webbing side straps, the waistband with side-release buckle and the adjustable shoulder straps
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
Like I said at the beginning of this review, I cant say enough good things about Astral and their life jackets. My astral life jacket is so old that they don’t even make it anymore. That should tell just how much I love my Astral life jacket and how long they last. The Astral Buoyancy LDB PFD is no exception to this statement. If you are on the hunt for a new life jacket, pick up and Astral.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: