Yukon Charlie’s Pro-Guide V 825 Snowshoes
Yukon Charlie’s Pro-Guide V 825 Snowshoes – reasonably priced backcountry snowshoes
Yukon Charlie’s is a fairly young snowshoe company that aims to create high quality snowshoes at a reasonable cost. A step above their basic Trail Series, the Pro-Guide series snowshoes are intended for hiking on rolling and steep terrain in the backcountry.
An aluminum frame paired with high density decking provides long lasting durability and the hand laced decking helps keep snow off the rear deck. Aggressive steel crampons are designed to give excellent traction on steeper backcountry terrain.
The bindings open wide to allow easy entry, and ratcheted straps secure your foot easily to the shoes. The straps are wide so you shouldn’t have much problem adjusting the bindings with your gloves on.
The Yukon Charlie’s cost way less than similar snowshoes intended for more difficult backcountry terrain. They are a bit on the heavy side though, but at $99 they make a great introductory pair.
>>Read more about how to pick snowshoes here.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can find on:
Why they rock:
- Lightweight, sturdy 7075 aluminum frames with HDPE decking provides maintenance-free durability
- Hand-laced rear decking helps snowshoes shed snow
- Frame is tapered at the tip and tail to better accommodate a natural stride
- Bindings wrap feet and ratchets on straps offer a secure, easily adjustable fit, even with gloves on; bindings also open wide to allow easy entry and exit
- Aggressive stainless-steel crampons on the Yukon Charlie’s Pro-Guide V 825 deliver traction on packed snow and groomed trails over rolling terrain
- Recommended load: up to 200 pounds (specification includes weight of hiker with gear)
- Weight (pair): 4 lbs. 3 oz.
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 7 out of 10
Compared to other snowshoes, the Yukon Charlie’s Pro-Guide V 825 Snowshoes sport a simple design and basic binding system. If you are just getting started in snowshoeing these shoes are definitely worth a try since they deliver great traction at half the price of similar models. Yukon Charlie’s also has economical snowshoes for kids.
I also recommend picking up a pair of snowshoe poles for added stability on snow-covered terrain.
Looking to buy? Here’s where you can get one: