REI Traverse Trekking Poles
REI Traverse Trekking Poles – great all-around trekking poles
The REI Traverse Trekking Poles are simply designed, lightweight, and reasonably priced compared to similar models. The poles collapse down to 26 inches so they are easily attached to a hiking backpack and then when you need them, you simply extend the poles out to your desired length, secure by twisting, and you’re good to go.
A few ounces heavier than the Black Diamond Alpine trekking poles, the REI Traverse poles are still pretty light at only 9.5 ounces a pole. Soft ergonomic foam handgrips are contoured for easy gripping and the padded neoprene wrist straps are fully adjustable and comfortable.
One nice thing about the REI Traverse is that they come with tip protectors to keep the durable tungsten carbide tips from poking through your pack during traveling. Maybe if I had had some tip protectors on my Black Diamond poles I wouldn’t have had so much trouble getting through airport security this summer.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can find on:
Why they rock:
- Strong 3-section 7075-T6 aluminum alloy shafts extend to 55 in. and compact to 26 in. to fit on your pack
- DuoLock™ internal locking mechanisms apply a wide area of pressure against pole walls to lock in length adjustment
- With the new Stop Lock system, poles won’t come apart; system makes the pole sections into 1 unit for security and stability
- Soft EVA foam hand grips have an ergonomic, contoured shape and are easy to hold; adjustable padded neoprene wrist straps add support
- Fitted with trekking discs and extra-durable tungsten carbide tips; included tip protectors are strictly for travel/packing protection, not intended for hiking
- Trekking baskets promote stability on soft terrain; baskets easily twist on and off
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
If you are looking for a pair of trekking poles and don’t want to spend a pretty penny, the REI Traverse may be for you. The REI Traverse also comes in a junior size (for only $39.50), which happened to fit me perfectly.
Looking to buy? Here’s where you can get one: