REI Lookout 40 Daypack
REI Lookout 40 Daypack – Serious daypack.
When it comes to day hiking, there are those who simply do short little paved loops around the lake and then there are those who do serious up and back in a day summit runs. Because these two types of day hikes are so vastly different, it only makes sense that each would call for a different type of daypack. No longer will basic daypack fit every sort of day hike one cares to accomplish. No sir, a serious day hike calls for a serious daypack. If you are regularly finding your self on a variety of challenging day hikes, you need a daypack that can keep up. The REI Lookout 40 Daypack might just be that daypack.
At first glance, the REI Lookout 40 Daypack may appear to just be your average daypack, but it is far from your basic run of the mill daypack. The REI Lookout 40 Daypack is designed to be ready for what ever sort of hike you are hitting. Because different hikes can call for different gear, the REI Lookout 40 Daypack is ready to be able to carry almost all of it. All over the outside of the pack are loops, daisy chaise, lash points, and other features to help make sure you can carry your gear comfortably and securely.
One really nice feature of the REI Lookout 40 Daypack is that it is filled with pockets and plenty of organization. So not only does the REI Lookout 40 Daypack feature plenty of room for all your day hiking essentials, it also gives you a special place to put them all. This way your pack can stay clean and organized. Well, at least on the inside anyways. There are pockets for just about everything from your hydration bladder to a fleece lined electronics pocket. In smaller pockets there are also small organizers to keep all of your smaller things organized and in place.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Largely made from 100% recycled PET polyester fabric, each pack keeps 26 16-oz. plastic bottles out of landfills!
- Post-consumer recycled PET polyester is tough enough to endure the daily grind
- High-density polyethylene framesheet and a single aluminum stay support heavy loads and protect your back from bulky or pointy items
- Free-Flow egg crate foam back panel is designed to improve body contact comfort, with channels for air circulation to keep your back cool and dry
- Contoured, padded shoulder straps and waistbelt wrap around to offer comfortable support under pack load
- Internal sleeve accommodates a hydration reservoir of your choice (sold separately); dual exit ports allow drinking tube to routed on either side of pack
- Wide panel opening to main compartment gives you easy access to the contents
- Front zip compartment has pockets for stashing and organizing essentials such as money, ID, multi-tool and headlamp
- Twin vertical zippered side pockets provide additional storage for often used essentials
- Top stash pocket has room for items such as sunglasses or MP3 player
- Mesh pocket on waistbelt provides storage for often-accessed essentials; lash points on other side of hipbelt wing provide spot to secure GPS or camera case
- Side mesh pockets create convenient storage and on-the-go access to water bottle, sunscreen, snacks or small electronics
- Front-panel lash points and bottom compression straps let you strap on bulky gear like snowshoes and sleeping pad
- Side compression straps let you cinch down loads for jostle-free carrying
- Twin ice axe loops and corresponding removable retainers let you lash on trekking poles
- Built-in rain cover stows in bottom compartment
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
If your idea of a good day hike doesn’t consist of a paved trail and usually includes some serious elevation changes, then you should look into the REI Lookout 40 Daypack. It has a lot of features that only a serious day hiker can really enjoy. And for the price it is hard to beat. Some more basic daypacks can cost more than this bad boy.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: