Primus Classic Trail Stove
Primus Classic Trail Stove – cheap and compact backpacking stove
The Primus Classic Trail Stove is an affordable and efficient backpacking stove. At only 8 ounces (without fuel), the stove is lightweight and super compact.
The stove runs on propane canisters that burn clean and perform well at high altitudes. To light, simply screw the stove onto any fuel canister with a Lindel valve, turn valve, light with a match, and then adjust the flame as you would your stove at home.
The Yellowstone does not come with a windshield so if you find yourself in windy conditions you can erect some wind protection out of a pile of rocks. Only downfall of this stove is that it uses disposable fuel canisters. The cansters cannot be refilled and different cities have different rules for how you can recycled used fuel canisters so check with your city to see how you can recycle them.
Why they rock:
- Runs on Primus LP butane/propane cartridges which burn clean, won’t spill and have a low freezing point—good for high-altitude cooking
- Sturdy, lightweight, simple construction will appeal to the weight-conscious adventurer
- Flame is adjustable for simmering, boiling or anything in between—just like your stove at home
- Stove assembly attaches quickly and easily to the fuel cartridge, sold separately
- Stove accepts any canister with female Lindel valve, including MSR, Primus, Snow Peak and Brunton canisters in various sizes and fuel formulas
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
If you just getting into backpacking and not into shelling out a $100 plus for a backpacking stove the Primus Yellowstone Classic is perfect. It is compact, easy to light, and powerful enough to boil water in just minutes. The Primus Classic is also a good choice for the fastpacking variety – it is simple, compact, and super lightweight.