Petzl Tikka XP LED Headlamp
Petzl Tikka XP LED Headlamp – A feature filled headlamp.
While the Petzl Tikka XP LED Headlamp might look like a majority of the other headlamps on the market, it is far from average. In fact, it couldn’t be further from average, as it is one of the most featured filled headlamps out there. Combine all the features, its compact size, and its low price tag; it is easy to see why it is so popular. So popular in fact that the Petzl Tikka XP LED Headlamp was an editors choice for Backpacking Magazines Gear of the Year issue.
One thing you may notice right away is that the Petzl Tikka XP LED Headlamp is super bright. I am not just talking kinda bright, but blinding bright. That bright light is powered by three tripple A batteries. I’m not sure of the battery life on the bright setting, but at the low setting it can shell out around 120 hours of light.
A cool feature of the Petzl Tikka XP LED Headlamp is that you don’t have to judge your battery life on the fading brightness of your lamps light. The Petzl Tikka XP LED Headlamp has a three colored battery life indicator that shows you just how much battery life is left. The lamp has a lot of other really cool features like a water resistant housing, boost mode, and a LED bulb that never needs to be replaced.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Durable plastic housing is highly water resistant for confident use in wet conditions
- Adjustable elastic band comfortably fits a variety of head sizes; tilting ratchet head adjusts light where you need it without crooking your neck
- Three-color battery-charge indicator provides visual status of remaining battery life, eliminating guesswork
- Powered by three AAA batteries, headlamp can provide up to 120 hours of light on low setting
- Super-powerful Boost mode produces nearly double the light of maximum level when you need extra visibility
- Boost mode stays active no more than 20 seconds to prevent overheating of the LED circuitry
- Powerful 1-watt LED bulb never needs replacement
- Slide-away diffuser lens cover changes beam shape from spotlight to area light for different conditions
- Four-way power switch controls light modes: maximum, optimum, economy and flashing strobe
- Separate Boost switch for on-demand lighting to cut through the dark
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
It amazes me that companies like Petzl, who have so much awesome stuff, can constantly improve it and make it better. The Petzl Tikka XP LED Headlamp is prime example of that. They took their basic headlamp and made it even better. The only thing I would like to see is maybe some sort of rechargeable battery pack. In the mean time, I think rechargeable batteries will work just fine.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: