Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 waterproof digital camera
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TSI Waterproof Digital Camera – the first “tough camera” with HD video capability
Everytime I damage yet another electronic item by getting it wet, I am almost always met with the same response from my family and friends: “Again? Really?” As a girl who has dropped phones in pools, run them through a full cycle in the washing machine, dropped a camera in a cup of beer and most recently sacrificed another phone when it vibrated its way from the arm of the couch into a water glass, I am certainly one who knows the value of having a waterproof digital camera.
While the first waterproof digital cameras still worked even after you got them wet, they weren’t exactly known for taking the best quality pictures. And while the newer models have improved, they definitely still do lack when it comes to actual photographic quality.
That being said, having a waterproof digital camera, especially when traveling, sure is reassuring. You can take it out on that boat trip without worrying about inadvertent spray ruining your photos. You won’t have to attempt covering your camera with your clothes when it starts to rain on the hike, You can get photos underwater while snorkeling or take it out to get some shots on that kayak trip.
The new Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 waterproof digital camera is not only waterproof, but it’s also built to be super tough and withstand drops of 5 feet. There is also shock and dust proofing, a lens reinforcement system and it’s waterproof up to 10 feet—making this cookie one hard thing to break. There is even an external dive case that extends the depth rating to 130 feet.
While the photos from the camera weren’t spectacular, the colors were accurate and the camera features optical stabilization, which is a nice bonus. The camera also has a super sleek, compact and clean design—making it less bulky than some other waterproof models out there on the market. The new Panasonic Lumix waterproof digital camera also is the first tough camera of its kind that has the ability to shoot HD video.
>>Check out more waterproof digital cameras
The Quick & Dirty:
Where you can get one: Amazon.com
Why it Rocks:
• Product Type Digital camera – Compact
• Width 3.9 in
• Depth 0.9 in
• Height 2.5 in
• Weight 5.7 oz
• Enclosure Color Silver
• Resolution 12.1 megapixels
• Color Support Color
• Optical Sensor Type CCD
• Total Pixels 12,700,000 pixels
• Effective Sensor Resolution 12,100,000 pixels
• Light Sensitivity ISO 80 , ISO 100 , ISO 200 , ISO 400 , ISO 800 , ISO 1600 , ISO 3200 , ISO 6400 , ISO auto
• Digital Zoom 4 x
• Shooting Modes Frame movie mode
• Shooting Programs Pet , Food , Snow , Baby1 , Baby2 , Beach , Candle , Sunset , Scenery , Clipboard , Fireworks , Soft skin , Starry sky , Night scene , Sports mode , Aerial photo , Party/indoor , Portrait mode , Self-portrait , Hi-speed burst , Night portrait , High sensitivity
• Special Effects Cool , Warm , Sepia , Vivid , Black & White
• Image Stabilizer Optical (MEGA O.I.S.)
• Max Shutter Speed 1/1300 sec
• Min Shutter Speed 60 sec
• Exposure Metering Multi-segment
• Exposure Modes Program , Automatic
• Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
• Auto Exposure Bracketing 3 steps in 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV steps
• Face Detection Yes
• White Balance Custom , Presets , Automatic
• White Balance Presets Shade , Cloudy , Halogen , Daylight
• Digital Video Format QuickTime , AVCHD Lite
• Still Image Format JPEG
• TV Tuner None
• Video Capture QuickTime – 640 x 480 , QuickTime – 320 x 240 , QuickTime – 848 x 480 , AVCHD Lite – 1280 x 720
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
If you’re looking for a feature-rich camera that’s designed for abuse, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 seems like a promising choice, especially given its HD-video prowess. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 is the company’s first attempt at a rugged compact camera, and I had good intentions for it as I am already a Lumix fan. Generally speaking, it’s a success. The camera may not be quite as impervious to shock and the elements as some of the competition, but it is waterproof up to a depth of 10 feet, shockproof from falls up to 5 feet, and dustproof. On the other hand, it looks and performs better than its competition, and it has some great features including HD movie capture, a wide-angle lens, and a long battery life. Overall it’s a good choice when look for a waterproof digital camera.
Looking to buy? Here’s where you can get one: