MSR XGK EX Stove
MSR XGK EX Stove – Another quality backpacking stove from MSR.
In my honest opinion, Moutain Safety Research makes some of the best backpacking stoves out there. They have definitely set the bar when it comes to well crafted and efficient backpacking stoves. It amazes me how they constantly improve their products and come up with new ones that are equally as great as everything else in their line of backpacking stoves. The MSR XGK EX Stove is certianly as impressive as any other stove in the line and is a perfect choice for those who venture in higher altitudes often.
If you have ever camped in cooked in extremely cold temperatures or at high altitude you know how hard it can be cook. Many backpacking strives struggle to perform well under these conditions. That isn’t the case with the MSR XGK EX Stove. This bad boy candle just about any cold weather condition with ease. A lot of this ability to perform well in the cold has to do with the stoves bell shaped burner and the new feet that keep the MSR XGK EX Stove raised up off of the ground.
As with many of the other stoves in the MSR line, the MSR XGK EX Stove is self cleaning. The MSR XGK EX Stove features a small built in needle that aids in cleaning out soot and build up in the stove. All you have to do to clean the MSR XGK EX Stove is shake it up for a bit and the needle will loosen and discard the debris. To make your life easier, the stove uses just about any fuel under the sun. This means that no matter where you are in the world, you can probably find some sort of fuel source.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Improved design features a larger pot support and a flexible fuel line that can be wrapped up and stored inside a pot
- Self-cleaning shaker jet has a built-in needle that pushes out built-up soot and debris with a simple shake of the stove
- Bell-shape burner cup makes the stove extremely effective in cold temperatures and at high altitudes; now with feet that lift burner off the ground
- Multi-fuel stove burns white gas, low-grade kerosene, auto fuel, Stoddard solvent, aviation (AV) gas, diesel #1 and naphtha
- Fiberfax priming pad makes priming and lighting fuels quick and easy while reducing spillage
- Wide and sturdy pot supports handle continuous use with ease
- Easily field maintainable with included cleaning and disassembly tools
- Large-diameter fuel line allows poor quality fuels to burn well and requires less maintenance than smaller diameter fuel lines
- Comes with aluminum windscreen, heat reflector, fuel pump and customized stuff sack
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
It is hard to find anything bad to say about any of the Mountain Safety Research stoves and the MSR XGK EX Stove is no exception to this statement. It is lightwieght, efficient, works well in cold temperatures, and can work with a variety of fuel sources. I don’t know about you, but that sounds like the perfect backpacking stove.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: