MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent
MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent – A roomy and lightwieght backpacking tent.
It isn’t often that you find a two person backpacking tent that is both spacious and lightwieght. Backpacking tents tend to be or or the other, but that’s not the case with the MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent. It is no doubt that these features are what caught the eye of the gear testers at National Geographic Adventure magazine. The guys at the magazine were som impressed with the MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent that they added it to their 2009 Best of Adventure Gear issue.
There are a number of two person backpacking tents that have decent floor space, which is always nice, but few have as much head room as the MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent. Dome and A-frame style backpacking tents mean that you have to share the center of the tent to get some real head space. The MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent on the other hand has a design that offers each of its occupants their own head space.
Don’t worry about all this extra room adding to the overall weight of the tent. The MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent uses enough ultra light technology that it can afford to add some extra room on the tent. For starters, the MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent uses super light carbon fiber poles that are even lighter than those used on the MSR Hubba Hubba series. The rainfly is also made out of a special nylon that is tough, but still lighter than traditional rainflys.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Ultralight and extremely durable carbon fiber poles provide a 20% weight savings over the Hubba Hubba poles
- High-tech nylon rainfly reduces weight and the silicon and polyurethane coating increases durability and resistance to damaging UV rays
- Unique pole configuration provides maximum interior space, a roomy front vestibule and zippered rear window access to rear vestibule
- Dry-entry design ensures water won’t drip into the tent when door is opened for added ventilation in rainy weather
- Generous mesh provides great air circulation and ventilation
- Efficient, 2-pole design makes setting up this non-freestanding tent quick and easy
- Attention to detail shows in the taped seams, welded reinforcements, ultralight stake loops, reflective guy cords and user-friendly door toggles
- Ultralight needle stakes are virtually unbendable and seem nearly weightless
- This double-wall tent can also be set up with just the fly and footprint (sold separately) for a compact, lightweight shelter at just 2 lbs.
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
The MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent might be a bit in the pricey side for some, as it is near the $500 mark. Never the less, the MSR Carbon Reflex 2 Tent is a wise investment. It is a great backpacking tent that if well taken care of will last you for years to come. It could very well be the last backpacking tent you ever buy.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: