Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent
Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent – Lightweight and roomy.
Choosing the right group backpacking tent can be hard if you are only a recreation backpacker. Not that there is a shortage of three and four person backpacking tents to choose from, but because there are so many to choose from! If you don’t backpack a lot, it can be hard to justify spending a huge chunk of change on a tent just to make sure you get a quality tent. Problem is, you don’t want to spend too little money and end up with a heavy and sub par tent. If this sounds like a problem you are facing, then you might want to check out the Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent.
With a price tag at around $240, the Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent isn’t the cheapest tent out there, but it also isn’t the most expensive. Considering that the Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent is big enough for three people, is super light, and made by Moutain Hardwear; I would say it probably has all the characteristics you could want in a three person backpacking tent. The Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent is also a great buy for the recreational backpacker because it is designed to handle a variety of weather conditions.
While the Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent may look like a typical dome tent, but it is far from it. True to dome tent features, the Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent is a freestanding tent that only uses two poles. But it does have one small additional pole you can use to create a tension self and add increased room to your vestibule; which is always nice in a three person tent.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Freestanding 2-pole design offers a solid shelter with ample square footage; large end mesh door allows easy access
- Tension Shelf supports a brow pole which greatly increases vestibule volume, adds structural strength and offers overhead storage
- Dry-entry vestibule design prevents water from dripping inside tent when vestibule is open; features a non-yellowing, clear ultra-violet overlaminate film window
- Large mesh sky panel rolls back for ventilation and views in nice weather
- Atlas 7001 poles are anodized for corrosion- and dent-resistance and come with patented Delrin shock tips, so they’re completely field serviceable by hand
- Pole clips save weight, make setup a cinch and allow superior ventilation between rainfly and tent
- Opposing double-slider door zippers make variable venting easy
- For extra stability, each guyout point clips to the frame on interior side of rainfly via welded attachment points; guyout points are reflective for easy identification
- Canopy pockets keep tent organized; optional gear loft is sold separately
- Superlight buckles and webbing save weight
- Fast pack pitching: In nice weather, use only the poles, rainfly and footprint (sold separately) to save weight
- Mountain Hardwear Watertight Construction: Thoughtful design, taping and welding technology combine to make this tent watertight off the shelf. No seam sealing is required
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
I have suggested the Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent to a few couples who regularly camp out with friends go car camping and do some backpacking trips here and there. So far I haven’t heard any complaints about the Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3 Tent. They enjoy how versatile, tough, and light the tent is compared to cheaper tents that they looked at.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: