Merrell Saugatuck Sandals
Merrell Saugatuck Sandals – Part sandal but mostly shoe.
The Merrell shoe company has always produce a variety of shoes that were well ventilated, water friendly, and perfect for a variety of outdoor activity. For the most part many Merrell shoes bordered on the line of water sport shoes/sandals. Apparently that line wasn’t enough because now there is the Merrell Saugatuck Sandals. If you were to look at these guys from only the front or only see the tops of them while someone was wearing them with pants you would probably assume that they were just another pair of Merrell shoes. But to assume would be wrong. On the back of the Merrell Saugatuck Sandals you will find a Velcro strap similar to what you have on sandals. it is this strap that separates the Merrell Saugatuck Sandals from similar Merrell shoes.
Honestly, this strap nonsense seams a little silly to me, but I guess I can understand why people would like it. I think the Merrell Saugatuck Sandals are designed to target the outdoor crowd that like the Keen style of water shoes. If Keens are sandals that are on the verge of being shoes, then the Merrell Saugatuck Sandals is a shoe on the verge of being a sandal. Considering the design of many of the other Merrell shoes, this works out nice. The Merrell Saugatuck Sandals make for great day hiking shoes because they offer ample amount of protection and ventilation, but also have plenty room for drainage should you decide to venture of trail into the creek or water.
One really nice feature of the Merrell Saugatuck Sandals is that since they are a bit more shoe than sandal, they are a lot more comfortable than typical sandals. I’m not saying sandals are uncomfortable, but shoes can offer more comfort for extended hiking and exploring. So if you tend to do a good amount of day hiking, but like to get wet from time to time, the Merrell Saugatuck Sandals might have all the features you are looking for in a day hiking shoe.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Waterproof leather straps are naturally durable and resist stretching for lasting performance
- Uppers are lined with neoprene and spandex to protect against chafing, and add soft cushioning; AEGIS Microbe Shield antimicrobial treatment protects against odors
- Elastic lacing system with lace lock offers a secure, personalized fit; stretch air mesh tongues facilitate breathability
- Rubber toe caps protect toes and uppers from bumps and abrasions
- Textured EVA footbeds reduce slippage and are treated with AEGIS Microbe shield for additional odor control
- Compression-molded EVA midsoles offer lightweight cushioning, shock absorption and stability
- Injection-molded nylon arch shanks help control flex while enhancing support and protection on rough terrain
- Vibram Chameleon Speed Hiker outsoles feature TC5+ rubber so you can pick up the pace without sacrificing traction
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
While I have never used the Merrell Saugatuck Sandals, I have always been a fan of other Merrell shoes. The are pretty tough, super comfortable, extremely cool, and handle water like a champ. By the looks of the Merrell Saugatuck Sandals, I am sure they are no exception to this statement. How about you Keen wearers, what do you think? Are you ready to make the switch?
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: