Merrell Chameleon Evo Mid Gore-Tex Boots
Merrell Chameleon Evo Mid Gore-Tex Boots – Great summer hiking boots.
Now that summer is officially here, I imagine I’ll be doing even more outdoors than usual. While I tend to do just about everything outdoors in my Chaco sandals, from time to time they just aren’t the best choice for the activity at hand. While my old pair of hiking boots did just find, living in Costa Rica took a toll on them mold wise. As a result, I am in the market for a new pair of summer hiking boots. As I only plan to wear them on short weekend hikes and extreme day hikes, I didn’t need anything too fancy or expensive. One pair that caught my eye that had such characteristics were the Merrell Chameleon Evo Mid Gore-Tex Boots.
As far as looks go, I liked that the Merrell Chameleon Evo Mid Gore-Tex Boots had that kind of classic hiking boot look with all the new school features and technologies. But, looks are a poor reason to buy a pair of hiking boots. I liked that these guys were only a mid height cut. As I said, I wouldn’t be doing anything too serious in these, so a lower cut was key for comfort. Since I will be wearing these mostly in the summer, I wanted something with good ventilation to keep my feet cool and comfortable. These boots feature select amounts of breathable mesh to do just that.
Just because I would be hiking during the summer and not doing any really long hikes doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be coming in contact with a variety of terrain and elements. For this, I needed a good amount of water protection and a sole that had plenty of grip to grab on to anything from wet rocks to steep and dusty trails. The Merrell Chameleon Evo Mid Gore-Tex Boots have pretty much got that covered as well. As far as protection from the elements go, they feature waterproof Gore-Tex coverings. The soles feature long lasting and super light Vibram soles in a variety of lug sizes for great traction.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Leather and breathable nylon mesh uppers keep weight low and comfort high; injection-molded thermoplastic urethane instep straps lock heels down for enhanced stability
- Molded rubber toe caps and rands protect uppers and your feet from bumps and scrapes
- Waterproof and highly breathable Gore-Tex XCR gasket construction keeps out the elements
- Removable Ortholite anatomic footbeds add cushioning to In-Board™ compression-molded EVA midsoles with Air Cushion heel pockets
- Tapered nylon midsole supports with injection-molded nylon arch shanks help control flex while enhancing support and protection from rough terrain
- Vibram Chameleon Speed Hiker outsoles feature 5mm lugs and TC5+ rubber for superior traction on wet and dry surfaces
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
So, will the Merrell Chameleon Evo Mid Gore-Tex Boots be my next pair of summer hiking boots? I’m not sure yet. I still have some researching and comparing to do. What I can tell you though is that the v have definitely made my short list and I suggest you add them to yours as well. If you want a good pair of light wieght summer hiking boots, the Merrell Chameleon Evo Mid Gore-Tex Boots are definitely one of the better pairs.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: