Mad Rock Phoenix Climbing Shoe
Mad Rock Phoenix Shoe – super sticky all-around shoe
The Mad Rock Phoenix is a classic shoe. One of the best selling all-around rock climbing shoes of all time, the Phoenix is great in the gym and on multi-pitch and traditional climbs. With lacing all the way to the toes, the Mad Rock Phoenix Climbing Shoes are easy to get on and adjust to your comfort.
Mad Rock’s sticky, Science Friction FX5 rubber offers great vertical and lateral friction with lasting durability. A 3D molded heel cup is treaded for the occasional heel hook and a large toe box reduces pressure on the toes. A stiff midsole will keep your feet happy on long ascents and soft ultrasuede leather uppers conform to your feet and takes some pressure off the laces.
The Phoenix is a great beginner shoe but it does take a little while to break them in. At first they can feel a little stiff, but with time they will soften up and stick to the rock like nothing else.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can find on:
Why they rock:
- Slip-lasted construction for rock sensitivity underfoot; generous toe box reduces pressure on the toes
- 3D molded heel cup is shaped to eliminate slippage and is treaded for effective heel hooking capabilities
- Compressed polyester fiber midsoles are flexible and supportive to help reduce fatigue on longer routes
- To-the-toe lacing and double pull-on loops provide ease of entry and an adjustable fit; bound collars add comfort around ankles
- Ultrasuede leather uppers with padded tongues relieve lace pressure; unlined to conform to foot shape more easily
- Sticky, Science Friction FX5 rubber blends just the right amount of friction with lasting durability; treaded heels also aid on descents off the top
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
The Mad Rock Phoenix is a great shoe beginners and advanced climbers alike looking for a good comfort to performance ratio. The rubber is super sticky so you can get some good edging with these shoes if you get a tight fit. The Phoenix will stretch out a bit so it is a good idea to size down a half size so the shoes still fit snug once they are broken in.
Looking to buy? Here’s where you can get one: