Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier
Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier – A more minimal child carrier.
Child carriers have come a long way over the years to say the least. What started out as a simple tool to help you carry your child around on your back has been transformed into some high tech gear. Some of these really high tech and expensive child carriers are so large and have so many features that they look more like some alien rocket pack than a child carrier. I’m not saying that the majority of child carriers are bad, but sometimes you don’t need all that frame work. For times when you want a more simple child carrier, there is the Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier.
Let me just point out the obvious for just a second. The Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier isn’t meant to be a substitute for the larger and more complex. Instead, it is more geared toward couple who want to enjoy short outings with their children, but don’t need all the features of a full sized child carrier. Because of this design, the Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier has its own set of pros and cons and is not for everyone.
One feature that I really like about the Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier is that it is designed so that it can be used as a daypack when not being used as a child carrier. Essentially, the Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier is a day pack with a simple child carrier built into it. If you want to use it just as a daypack, all you have to do is pull a few cinch cords in you are ready to go. The child carrier portion of the pack is completely adjustable to fit your child and hold them in securely.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Five-point harness system comfortably secures child in cockpit and adjusts easily with a central tensioning system similar to car seats
- Curved, molded foam shoulder harness with load-lifter straps, sternum strap and contoured, padded hipbelt evenly distribute load
- Main compartment has room for a layer of clothes, lunch and the rest of the 10 Essentials
- Torso and seat height adjust to the size of the child
- Carrier converts to a daypack by cinching the cockpit area closed
- Aluminum frame evenly supports load and features an easy torso-adjustment slider to fir either parent; padded backpanel increases comfort
- Zip-off diaper pack with shoulder straps brings along toys and essentials
- Organizer pocket stores ID, money and other small accessories
- Manufacturer recommends a maximum weight limit of 40 lbs. for child and gear
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
As I said before, the Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier is not meant to be a replacement to full size child carriers. But if you and your family regularly have unplanned hikes, walks around town, or other spontaneous events, the Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier can make for a good back up. The Kelty Transit 2.1 Child Carrier also makes for a good emergency child carrier/diaper bag for those events where you don’t plan on using a child carrier, but might need one.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: