Gregory Drift Ski pack
Gregory Drift ski and snowboard backpack—the smallest Gregory winter pack, a scaled down Targhee pack
If you are looking for a small, compact and super nimble pack to take with you for a day of backcountry touring or trying to find untouched powder fields in the sidecountry, the Drift pack by Gregory is an ideal choice. While this pack still has many of the important and mainstay features every backcountry pack should have—room for avy tools, ski/snowboard carry system, hydration sleeve and more—it manages to stay small enough to keep a super low profile.
The Drift pack is actually the smallest in Gregory’s winter line of packs. It’s basically a scaled down version of the Targhee—making it ideal for shorter day-trips into the backcountry and for those skiers and snowboarders who like to duck in and out of bounds when resort riding.
The Drift’s narrow profile also makes it comfortable to wear when on the lift without sacrificing much volume. The pack also has an insulated hydration sleeve, which ensures your water won’t freeze even on the coldest days out on the mountain. The tube sleeve and port also has zippered access on the shoulder harness.
While the Drift may be small, it still features a completely stowable ski carrying system, which allows you to choose whether you’d like to carry your planks vertically or diagonally. Much like the larger Targhee, the Drift also uses non-slip, loackable attachment points, which makes loading your skis or board onto this pack super simple. There is also an optional snowshoe carry system.
A front pocket allows easy access to your most important backcountry gear—your shovel skins, beacon and more. Like the Gregory Targhee, the Drift also has drainage holes in tool pockets to ensure your gear stays nice and dry. Waterproofed zippers also make sure everything keeps from getting wet, even when cutting fresh tracks through the super deep stuff.
The molded backpanel, all terrain shoulder harness, and waistbelt (complete with a stash pocket and gear loop) also make the Drift super comfortable and fitted close to your body.
>>Check out more of the best ski and snowboard backpacks
The Quick & Dirty:
Where you can get one:
Gregory Drift Daypack (Lime) $129
Why it Rocks:
- Completely stowable ski and board carrying system
- Ski carry system allows you to carry either vertically or diagonally
- Ski carry system using easy-to-use, non-slip lockable attachment points
- Drainage holes in all gear pockets keep your stuff dry
- All terrain shoulder harness keeps pack comfortable and close to your body
- Full hydration compatibility offers an insulated tube sleeve and port with zippered access on the shoulder harness
- Waistbelt for comfort with stash pocket and gear loop
- Front pocket for easy access to shovel blade, skins and beacon
- Continuously insulated tube sleeve runs from inner pack body thru shoulder harness to help prevent freezing.
- Quick zip side access and panel loading access
- Made from high tenacity 630 denier nylon
- Weight: 3 lbs.
- Low profile perfect for day trips and makes it comfortable for riding the lifts
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
While the Gregory Drift does not have the same, unique ski carry system which integrates the ski and board carry system directly into the pack suspension, the Drift’s smaller, low profile size make it super appealing for those who don’t want to lug around a ton of stuff for their day-trips into the backcountry or quick trips out the gate.
While not necessarily ideal for those looking to do longer tours, this pack has all the essential features for a day of back or sidecountry skiing. Comfortable shoulder straps and wasitbelt, tons of pockets, room for your shovel and other avy essentials, and a ski and snowboard carry system. The insulated hydration system that keeps even your tube insulated will ensure you have un-frozen and drinkable water even on the coldest days out there on the slopes.
If you are a most inbounds skier, who likes taking trips out of the gate, this is the ski pack for you.
Looking to Buy? Here’s where you can get one:
Gregory Drift Daypack (Lime) $129