Garmin Edge 605 GPS Bike Computer
Garmin Edge 605 GPS Bike Computer – Navigation unit made for biking.
Following up on my post yesterday about 5 Bike Accessories for Commuters; Id like to share another biking accessory worth mentioning. The only reason I didnt add this one to the list was that its a little bit more expensive and not really a must have. That said, the Garmin Edge 605 GPS Bike Computer is a cool device to have if you have just moved to a new city or like to keep track of your biking for exercise reasons.
There are plenty of hand held GPS units that have bike accessories for them so that you can hook them to your handlebars and what not. These units are fine for mountain biking, but take them in anything that looks like a city and you’ll signal before you even have a chance to get lost. The Garmin Edge 605 GPS Bike Computer on the other hand is made for bikers and city goers. Its top of the line GPS receiver keeps track of your position where less sophisticated units can not.
The Garmin Edge 605 GPS Bike Computer is more than just a GPS unit for your bike though. It also has a wealth of fitness tacking tools built into it. The unit lets you keep track of time and distance traveled, plan routes, and much more. One cool thing is that you can create a virtual bike partner to race against!
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Highly sensitive GPS receiver tracks your position where less sophisticated units will not, providing continuous reliable navigation
- Expand unit’s memory and mapping software options with microSD cards (sold separately); unit comes loaded with a basic basemap
- Customizable cycle computer shows six different cycling data fields, including speed, distance, time functions, calories burned and altitude gained
- Virtual Partner™ brings fun to training by letting you ”race” a virtual competitor
- You can also race against a recorded course to match or beat previously set speeds at every point along the way
- Auto Pause pauses the training timer when you decelerate below a specified speed and resumes once you’ve regained targeted speed
- Auto Lap™ triggers a lap every time you pass a specified location or travel a preset distance
- Compatible with Garmin Connect™: an online community for workout data sharing and analysis (available January, 2008)
- The unit measures 4.3 x 2 x 1 in.; display area is 1.37 x 1.71 in., and 176 x 220 pixels; screen is readable in daylight
- Waterproof design; unit is submersible to 1m for 30 minutes (do not operate submerged)
- Rechargeable internal lithium polymer battery lasts 15 hrs. with typical use
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
Im not much for creating regular exercise plans, or exercising in general, but if I were I may look into the Garmin Edge 605 GPS Bike Computer. For me though, the Garmin Edge 605 GPS Bike Computer is just too much of an expense. I’ll take my chances getting lost and asking for directions.
Looking to buy? Check out these sites: