Deuter Futura Pro 34 SL Women’s Pack
Deuter Futura Pro 34 SL Women’s Pack – slim-fitting women’s pack for overnight trips
The advent of women’s specific backpacks has totally revolutionized the sport for women. I will never forget my first backpacking trip mostly because of that oversized external frame pack I had to lug through 33-miles of Alaska wilderness. A poorly fitted pack can seriously spoil your experience and that it did.
Women’s specific packs are designed to fit smaller frames more comfortably. The Deuter Futura Pro 34L, with its narrower shoulder straps and shorter torso, is designed for hikers up to 5′7”. The shoulder straps and hip pads are nicely padded and Deuter’s Aircomfort design keeps the pack from being directly on your back allowing warm air to escape and fresh air to blow between the pack and the wearer keeping you cooler, drier, and more comfortable.
With 34 liters of space, the Futura is perfect for fastpacking or overnight backpack trips. The pack is equipped with plenty of pockets for all your goods including a separate sleeping bag compartment, top lid, and side compartments. The pack also has a hydration-compatible design with a reservoir pocket, loops to stash your ice axe or trekking poles, and a built-in rain cover that can be pulled out easily to cover your pack.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can find one:
Why they rock:
- Women-specific pack holds 34 liters
- Average weight 3 lbs. 9 oz.
- Women-specific design has narrow shoulder straps and short torso length
- Aircomfort Pro suspension allows circulation between your back and the pack for increased comfort
- Reservoir pocket and exit port hold hydration reservoir (sold separately)
- Side compression straps cinch down loads for jostle-free carrying
- Contoured, padded shoulder straps are lined with sweat-reducing MeshTex fabric for breathability
- Front stash pocket and bellowed side pockets store oft-accessed gear
- Separate zippered compartment for sleeping bag is accessible at the base of the pack
- Top lid pocket holds your map, compass or GPS, spare batteries and other small equipment items
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
I have always had a tough time finding a pack that fits my 5”2’ petite frame properly and the Deuter Futura fits me to a tee. There are plenty of pockets to help keep all my goods organized on the road and the rain cover has come in handy during freak desert downpours. The bag has only suffered minimal wear during two weeks in Costa Rica, a year’s worth of overnight backpack trips, and one serious drag up a 100 foot rock face.
Looking to buy? Here’s where you can get one: