DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w GPS with Spot Satellite Messenger
DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w GPS – the world’s first handheld GPS with SPOT
The DeLorme Earthmate combines all the features of a Delorme GPS with SPOT satellite messaging. SPOT Messenger Technology lets you communicate with the world via satellite messaging even when cell service is not available. SPOT can publish your location directly to social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, and in emergencies, SPOT can send messages with your location embedded.
As far as a GPS unit, the DeLorme Earthmate is loaded with features. The Earthmate includes the DeLorme Topo USA National software with excellent trail coverage, U.S. and Canada highways, roads, and places of interest including campgrounds, natural features, fishing spots, and more. When traveling in elevation, the PN-60w has an elevation profile tool that shows your elevation gain and loss and pinpoints your location. A sensitive barometric altimeter gives you precise elevation readings, plus it has the ability to gauge weather changes.
The high-resolution color screen is easy to read even in sunlight and the ergonomic push-button design enables easy one-button use even with gloves on. The rugged, waterproof design will hold up to life on the trail (or river) and the battery power saving system extends life in the field.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can find on:
Why they rock:
- High-sensitivity receiver with predictive GPS for fast satellite fix
- Elevation profiles with your position pinpointed
- 3-axis electronic compass; barometric altimeter
- Battery-saving power management system
- One-touch synchronization on GPS data exchanges
- Customizable activity-based user settings
- All the memory you need – 3.5 GB onboard, expandable to 32 GB via SD card
- No waypoint or track limits – send to, read from SD card
- Crystal-clear sunlight-readable screen; ergonomic design for one-handed operation
- Easy push-button interface, proven reliable at the North Pole and Mt. Everest
- Waterproof (IPX7)
- 2 AA batteries included
- PN-60 Interface
- Intuitive, easy to use, icon-based screen navigation
- Reliable, ergonomic push-button design that enables one-handed use, even with gloves on
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
This aint your grandma’s GPS. This is the latest and greatest handheld GPS device meets innovative satellite communicating technology device. If you’re looking for a handheld GPS to do some occasional geocaching and backpacking, you’re probably going to want to look at some simpler GPS units like the Garmin Colorado or the Magellan Triton. The SPOT technology is pretty high tech and requires an annual subscription to work.
Looking to buy? Here’s where you can get one: