Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent
Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent – A green tent that is actually white.
When it comes to green and eco friendly tents, the Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent pretty much takes the cake. There is almost nothing on this backpacking tent that isn’t recycled or constructed in the most eco friendly way possible. But, you don’t have to take my word for it. The Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent was recently awarded the prestigious Backpacker Magazine 2009 Editors’ Choice Green Award Winner. Thats quite the achivement considering that the tent has to not only be green, but also be nothing short of amazing as well.
So, just what makes the Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent so green? For starters, you may notice that the tent is completely white. That is because the fabric used to construct the Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent walls is made from dye free polyester and dye free mesh. This is just one of the many green things on the tent. For example, the tent also sports a rain fly that is made up of recycled, dye free, rip stop polyester. The tent pole clips are also made up of recycled plastic to help keep the tent green.
The Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent isn’t all about being green just as a sales gimmick. The tent features all the top quality features and construction that you would expect to find on a Big Agnes tent. One thing I think is cool about the Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent is its rain fly and vestibule area. The tents vestibule can be setup as a traditional closed in area or as an awning over the tent door. You can also setup just the rainfly and poles to create a cool lightweight shelter.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can get one:
Why they rock:
- Other highlights include roominess around the head and shoulders, a vestibule that can be set up as an awning, and a fast pack setup for summer weather
- Lightweight and strong DAC Featherlite NSL poles with press-fit connectors use an anodization process that lessens environmental impact
- Silicone-treated fly and floor are made from 100% recycled, dye-free ripstop polyester with a waterproof polyurethane coating
- All fly and floor seams are taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane
- Tent body is made from lightweight 100% recycled, dye-free polyester and polyester mesh; generous mesh ensures good ventilation and views outside
- Hub/pole design ensures a hassle-free setup; recycled plastic clips quickly attach tent body to the pole frame
- Single side door with dry-entry vestibule offers easy access and gear storage; vestibule door may be staked out as an awning using your own trekking poles, sold separately
- 4 fly vents allow personalized ventilation
- Reflective, pre-attached guyline and reflective webbing on tent corners provide nighttime visibility
- Includes superlight aluminum stakes
- Save weight and create a minimalist shelter by using just the rainfly, poles and footprint (sold separately)
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
All and all, I think the Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent is a pretty cool tent. I especially like how well the minimalist version of the tent is setup. All to often this feature isn’t really that great on many tents that have it. But the minimalist version of the Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent is pretty hardcore. My only gripe is that like most “green” things, the Big Agnes Salt Creek 2 Tent seems a bit pricy for a 2 man tent. Not by much, but I guess that’s the price you pay to keep the planet clean.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: