Best Women’s Down Puffy Jackets
Best Women’s Down Puffy Jackets – super lightweight and warm down jackets
Freezing temps in Salt Lake this week sent me running to the back of my closet for my winter jacket, which was sadly in worse condition than I remember. I have been fighting the allure of the puffy down jacket ever since moving here from Wisconsin.
Lightweight puffy jackets, rather than Carharts and Columbia Parkas, seem to be a staple of outdoor life in this part of the country. So I headed down to REI with my unused dividend and tried on every puffy in the store.
REI Radiance Down Jacket
I was pretty much sold on this jacket before I ever tried it on, mostly because of its $99 price tag. REI’s 500-fill goose down is known to be super warm, lightweight, and compressible. The shell is windproof and the lining is made from recycled polyester, which nicely eases the conscious for buying yet another jacket. Unfortunately I was lured by the lighter weight 800-fill down jackets that cost double that of the Radiance, but this jacket is a great budget option, it just isn’t as compressible as some of the others.
Why it rocks:
- 500-fill goose down is warm, lightweight, and compressible
- Shell is windproof to 50mph
- Lining is made from recycled polyester
- Durable Water Repellent finish resists water
Buy REI Radiance Down Jacket:
Patagonia Down Sweater
The Patagonia Down Sweater is perfect for travel and backpacking since it weighs next to nothing and packs down to the size of a softball. The Down Sweater’s 100% recycled polyester shell is tear-resistant, windproof, and water repellent. I loved this jacket, but not the $200 price tag. I was willing to spend that much though because of Patagonia’s stellar environmental reputation, but they only had bright blue color available in my size and I just wasn’t stoked on it.
Why it rocks:
- 100% recycled polyester shell is tear-resistant and windproof
- Premium European 800-fill-power goose down insulation is extremely warm
- Weighs only 11 ounces, extremely compressible
Buy Patagonia Down Sweater:
- REI $200
- Moosejaw $160 – on sale until November 7, 2010
Marmot Venus Down Jacket
As soon as I slipped on the Marmot Venus, I was sold. It was like this jacket was designed just for me. With its 800-fill down, extreme compressibility, water resistant shell, and scant 11-ounce weight, the Marmot Venus has all the same features as the Patagonia Down Sweater, except for the recycled materials thing, at a lower price. I found the Venus to be a little less slim-fitting than the Down Sweater and thought that it could accommodate a few more layers underneath.
Why it rocks:
- Premium 800-fill-power goose down
- Water-resistant, ultralight downproof ripstop shell
- Features Marmot’s Angel-Wing Movement™ which allows full range of arm motion
Buy Marmot Venus Down Jacket:
- REI $165
- Moosejaw $132 – on sale until November 7, 2010
Got a favorite puffy coat?