Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2By Amiee Maxwell | Permalink | 0 comments | May 20th, 2010
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 – the ultimate ultralight travel tent
At just over 2 pounds, you will barely notice the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 in your pack. This tent weight is phenomenal for a freestanding 2-person tent so it is no wonder the Big Agnes Fly Creek received a Backpacker Magazine’s Editor’s Choice Award for one of the most durable and innovative products for 2010.
The tent saves weight by using the latest in ultralight materials, fabrics, and aluminum poles. Quality was not sacrificed with this lightweight design, the fly and floor are coated with a waterproof material and the seams are waterproofed as well to keep your dry in stormy weather. Plus the double-wall design provides superb ventilation with its nylon mesh ceiling panels. With 28 square feet of floor space the Fly Creek is large enough for two people but probably too snug for occupants over 6-feet tall.
The tent is great for ultralight backpackers that want a freestanding tent with remarkable durability. The tent is also fabulous for travelers that want to occasionally pitch a tent on beaches along the way without having to worry about the tent taking up all their pack space.
Why they rock:
- Ultralight, freestanding, 3-season, 2-person tent
- The total weight of tent body, fly, and poles is a scant 2lbs 2oz
- Fly Creek UL2 offers 2 campers a compact, yet completely comfortable living space
- Floor and fly is treated with a 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
- All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane
- Walls are constructed of woven nylon mesh, providing excellent ventilation and 360° views
- Includes 3 pockets and gear loft loops for storage
- 11 superlight aluminum stakes and stuff sacks included
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
I absolutely love the ultralight weight design. On a recent trip to Central America I really wanted to bring my tent but just couldn’t justify the added weight of a 5.5-pound tent – but a legitimate 2-person tent at only 2 pounds? I would have brought this baby in a second.
With an ultralight weight tent you usually have to sacrifice something, but this tent has it all – durable construction, excellent ventilation, and waterproof design. Some may find it too snug for comfort so if weight isn’t a huge concern you may be happier with more foot room and extra storage space with MSR’s Hubba Hubba or REI’s Half Dome.