SteriPEN Traveler Handheld Water Purifierâ€”the pocket-perfect, travel ready UV powered water purifier.
As an avid backpacker and traveler, I have used all kinds of different water filtration systems to make sure the water Iâ€™m drinking, whether Iâ€™m in the Colorado Rockies or the jungles of Panama, is safe and wonâ€™t make me sick. No one wants to spend a week of their next trip to the wilderness or abroad sitting on the toilet. No thanks.
The SteriPEN is the best water purifying system that is both small and effective. Itâ€™s basically a mini UV flashlight that you submerge into the water youâ€™d like to filter for 45 to 60 seconds. Thatâ€™s it. The UV rays donâ€™t heat up or change the water in any way other than killing all of the bacteria AND viruses that may be living in it. Itâ€™s a great way to purify your water in the backcountry or even at a restaurant in a third world country.
Youâ€™ll not only avoid getting sick, youâ€™ll also contribute positively to the environment by not adding more plastic water bottles to landfills.
Backpackers and travelers alike have been amazed at the convenience of this little device. Itâ€™s a lot quicker and easier than using a pump filter and does not leave behind the same yucky aftertaste of iodine pills. While you may have to be trusting in the seeming magic powers of this little light wand to clean your water, in my experience this thing works like it is supposed to. At least I never got sick from water I purified using the SteriPEN.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
The SteriPEN usually relies on batteries. If you are in a remote location, not only may the water not be safe to drink, but it may be near impossible to find batteries and nowhere to re-charge your batteries. In this case, you can also purchase the solar recharger, which will charge your SteriPEN in even the most remote corners of the globe.
The Quick and Dirty
Where you can get one: Amazon.com
Why it Rocks
- It protects you against diarrhea, dysentery, hepatitis, and Legionnairesâ€™ Disease. Botulism, cholera, smallpox and typhoid fever
- Itâ€™s fast. It takes only 48 seconds to purify 16 ounces of water
- Itâ€™s got a long lifeâ€”you could purify 1 liter, 4 times per day before the bulb would go out
- Itâ€™s light, weighing only 3.6 ounces with batteries. Much lighter and smaller than traditional water filter pumps.
- Itâ€™s small, measuring just 6 inches tall.
- Destroys Giardia and Cryptosporidium
- Kills 99.9999% of bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli
- Eliminates over 99.99% of viruses such as hepatitis and poliovirus
- Meets U.S. E.P.A. Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
This thing is seriously great. Itâ€™s compact, itâ€™s light and it works. Youâ€™ll not only be contributing fewer plastic water bottles to landfills, youâ€™ll also prevent yourself from getting sick. Whether you are traveling in third-world countries or backpacking in remote wilderness, this thing is the perfect companion for your adventures. An important thing to keep in mind, however, is that this thing relies on batteries, so if you are somewhere super remote and this thing dies, you may be out of luck. You can buy the solar recharger accessory, which I have not had to utilize but is slightly bulky.
Looking to Buy? Check out these sites: