REI Flash 18 DaypackBy Amiee Maxwell | Permalink | 0 comments | June 30th, 2010
REI Flash 18 – Lightweight daypack and stuff sack in one
The REI Flash 18 is a stellar lightweight, mini daypack great for the day’s adventures. The hydration compatible design has a sleeve and exit port for your hydration reservoir and with 18 liters of space still leaves plenty of room for your lunch, raincoat, and first aid kit.
Although the pack is small it doesn’t skimp on features. An inside storage sleeve keeps you organized and prevents you from losing smaller items to the bottom of your pack. Plus twin daisy chains and a gear loop let you secure gear to the outside of the pack.
The shoulder straps are light, comfortable, and adjustable. A sliding sternum strap lets you position the bag perfectly for your size and a waist strap keeps the bag secure.
The best thing about the pack is that is converts into a stuff sack, just turn it inside out and there you have it. The REI Flash 18 is great for packing or organizing your gear in a larger pack and then once at camp you can reverse it and use it as a daypack when exploring from camp.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can find one:
Why they rock:
- Lightweight backpack weighs in at scant 10 ounces
- Turn inside out to use as a stuff sack
- Hydration-compatible design has an internal sleeve and exit port for hydration reservoir (sold separately)
- Top-loading entry features a single drawcord to cinch shut
- Pack front features two daisy chains and a tool loop to secure items to front of pack
- Inside storage sleeve organizes contents
- Ripstop nylon construction is durable and polyurethane coating provides weather resistance
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
Going light is the thing to do in hiking these days and the REI Flash 18 is all about that. At only 10 ounces, you will barely notice the weight of the Flash on your back. The Flash is awesome for day hikes, bike rides, and cross-country ski trips plus it also works great as a sleek beach bag or for stuffing in your bouldering pad. Trust me you will find a million uses for this nifty bag.
Looking to buy? Here’s where you can get one: