Mammut Pulse Barryvox Avalanche Transceiver
The Mammut Pulse Barrvox Avalanche Transceiver is one of the best avalanche beacons on the market.Â A sensitive triple antenna system allows you to pinpoint avalanche victims quickly and precisely even in deep burials.
With Digital Signal Processing, the Mammut Pulse is able to distinguish between multiple signals and scans the environment quickly and lists the number of people buried. The Pulse can search for up to 8 signals at once, but can then eliminate all the signals except for the one you are tracking.Â If youâ€™re the one buried, the beacon switches to transmit mode and automatically begins monitoring vital signs with a motion sensor and lets rescuers know you are still alive.
The user interface is pretty intuitive and a locking power switch prevents the transceiver from accidentally turning off.Â The waterproof case has large non-slip buttons, which should be easy to operate while wearing gloves and an adjustable bungee lanyard system secures the device around your jacket.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Why they rock:
- Sensitive tri-antenna design allows precise searching, even in deep-burial and close-proximity searches
- Dual-mode transceiver can be used in analog mode to enhance range; Digital Signal Processing (DSP) better distinguishes multiple signals
- MapView display indicates number, location and vital data for multiple burials
- Automatic mode selects victim based on distance and survivability criteria; manual mode lets you work your own victim selection
- 3-D motion sensors receive and record victim’s vital heart rate data, letting you quickly perform the triage required to maximize rescue efforts
- Unit switches from automatic detection mode to transmit mode once user is buried; automatically begins recording heart rate
- Automatic power-on self-test, group check of signals and battery-monitoring features provide piece of mind before and during tour
- Intuitive user interface and case design simplifies operation; unique locking power switch prevents transceiver from being inadvertently powered on
- Waterproof, shock-resistant case features nonslip rubber buttons and grips for easy operation with gloves
- Adjustable bungee lanyard with clip secures around wrist or to jacket during a busy search to prevent inadvertent loss
- Scalable software platform can be updated via W-Link connection; W-Link data exchange with other Barryvox units optimizes and expedites search
- Operates on three AAA alkaline batteries (included) for approximately 200 hours of transmission time or 15 hours of receiving time
- Compatible with all beacons operating on the 457 kHz frequency
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
If you are looking for a fast, easy to use, and precise avalanche beacon, the Mammut Pulse Barryvox Avalanche Transceiver is your beacon.Â With all the features of the Pieps DSP Avalanche Transceiver, the Pulse goes above and beyond by including a motion sensor that records heart rate data that can maximize rescue efforts.Â If my backcountry ski partner had one of these, I would feel confident that this thing could find me if I happened to get buried deep.