LOKSAK Waterproof and Sand-Proof Dry Bags – re-sealable dry bags
Having gone through several point and shoot digital cameras in the last couple of years, I am always on the lookout for new products that will help keep my camera safe.Â During the Summer Outdoor Retailer Show, the Loksak waterproof, sand-proof, and dustproof bags caught my eye.
LOKSAK bags are re-sealable bags (think ziplocks) with a hermetic seal so no water, sand, dust, or air can permeate the seal.Â Tested and approved by the US Navy, these bags are crazy light at less than an ounce each and extremely durable and puncture proof.
I happily got to try out the LOKSAK bags in Lodore Canyon on the Green River last month and I am thrilled to report that my camera survived the trip.Â I was a bit nervous to get the bag wet at first, but by the end of the trip I was leaping right into the water with my camera in my pocket.Â One of these days though I am going to have to invest in a waterproof camera.
LOKSAK bags come in a variety of sizes so you can use the bags to store anything you want kept dry like cash, passport, iPod, clothes, food, batteries, and more.Â I used one bag for my camera and a larger sized bag for some cash, a small notebook, and pens.Â These bags would make an excellent gift for that person you really donâ€™t know what to buy for.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Sadly I donâ€™t have a photo of my camera in the LOKSAK bag being fully submerged in the river since the camera was obviously underwater, but here is a photo of the lovely Green River as proof that my camera made it safely out.
Why they rock:
- Waterproof, humidity proof, sand-proof, and dustproof
- Transparent material lets you easily view contents
- Cell phones, PDAs and other electronics can easily be used while in the bag
- Made with a patented, super-stretch, high-tenacity polymer to deliver extremely puncture-resistant, element-proof storage
- Strong 6mm film is on par with PVC of the same thickness in terms of durability, but has a lower cold-crack tolerance than that of PVC
- Easy-to-use closures are as simple as using a typical zip-closure type bag, but provide water-tight protection
- Waterproof to 200 feet
- Each bag weighs less than an ounce
- Available in multiple sizes
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
I am definitely going to use these bags to hold my camera and iPod while hiking and trail running especially since my last camera puked after drink powder exploded in my pack and got inside all the camera parts.Â Only complaint is that the bag showed plenty of wear from being taken in and out of my pocket a hundred times.Â It still worked just fine, but it did make me a littler nervous that the bag wouldnâ€™t be as waterproof.
Looking to buy? Hereâ€™s where you can get one:
REI: $11.50 (Multi 4-pack)