GoPro Hero HD -rugged, shockproof, waterproof helmet cam
The GoPro Hero easily mounts to your ski helmet and captures professional quality video at a not-so-professional cost. Complete with two adhesive mounts, a helmet front mount and a headlamp-style head strap, you can attach the cam any which way to your helmet.
Featuring 720p and 960p HD resolutions at 30 frames per second, WVGA mode to capture video at 60 frames per second, and 5 megapixel photo capture including a â€œphoto every 2 secondsâ€ time-lapse mode, the Hero will perform well in all sorts of conditions in its rugged, shockproof, waterproof housing.
The Hero also records professional-grade sound without the wind noise you would expect from such a camera. Some users have complained about the sound being a bit muffled, but GoPro ensures that you will only hear the sounds of your sport and not the sounds of the wind.
The camera comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which should last for 2.5 hours of constant recording. The battery should recharge in an hour when plugged into a wall or car charger â€“ you can also use record video while the camera is charging, which can be handy on road trips. A 32GB SD card shoots up to 9 hours of HD video, but needs to be purchased separately since no memory card comes with the camera.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
>>Read more about the best helmet cameras
Why they rock:
- HD Hero 960 captures professional quality 960p and 720p HD video at 30 frames per sec.; switch to the WVGA 848×480 resolution to capture video at 60 frames per sec.
- Records professional-grade sound without the wind or break up that can otherwise spoil a great video
- 5-megapixel sensor and quality glass lens offer sharp images and smooth, clear video; capture photos of yourself in action with the “photo every 2 seconds” time-lapse mode
- Other photo modes include single shot, triple shot, and self timer
- Shoot up to 9 hrs. of HD video on a 32GB SD card (not included)
- Removable, rechargeable 1100mAh lithium ion battery lasts over 2.5 hrs. on a single charge
- Sturdy, polycarbonate waterproof housing protects camera to 180 ft. deep
- Comes with lithium ion battery, head strap, helmet strap, 2 adhesive mounts component video (HDTV) cable and component video + audio out cable
- Compatible with Windows ME/2000/XP/Vista or Mac OS 9.1/10.2 and later; no driver required
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 9 out of 10
Not just for skiing, the GoPro Hero is great for slapping on your bike helmet or kayak helmet to take some video on land or water. The Hero doesnâ€™t float though so you will probably want to attach some sort of flotation device to it if you are going to be using it in or around the water.
If youâ€™re looking to take it up a notch, the GoPro Digital Helmet Hero HD is the worldâ€™s highest performing wearable video camera. The Digital Helmet Hero captures amazingly wide and sharp HD video with its 170-degree wide-angle lens, but is a bit higher in price at $300.