GoLite Odyssey Pack – sweet RTW bag made from recycled materials
I can’t imagine every needing a pack this size, but if I did the GoLite Odyssey Pack would be it. Holding up to 78 liters, the Odyssey is perfect for a multi-week backpacking adventure or a round-the-world kind of a trip.
Made from 50% Tier 1 recycled ripstop nylon, the Odyssey won a Backpacker Magazine’s Editors Choice Green Award for the finest innovation in sustainable fabrics. Backpacker Magazine testers couldn’t not find a difference in durability and performance between the recycled ripstop and virgin, petroleum-produced materials.
As far as comfort goes, the pack has super padded shoulder straps, a sternum strap, and a contoured air-channel mesh back panel that fits the back nicely yet encourages some air flow. The women’s pack features more narrow shoulder straps, a shorter sternum strap, and a hipbelt that is shape molded to fit a woman’s body. I am a huge advocate for women’s specific packs, so if you have had difficulty fitting packs in the past it is worth trying out a pack designed specifically for women.
The top-loading main compartment has plenty of room for all your clothing and assorted gear. The main compartment has a hydration compatible sleeve that fits up to a 3-liter bladder. The top-lid has a zippered pocket, plus it can be removed if you want to shave off a little extra weight. A separate sleeping bag compartment is accessible from the front of the pack and is separated from the main compartment via a zippered divider. Side pockets stash your water bottle or keep some snacks handy and a pretty large zippered front pocket holds your maps and other gear you want easily accessible.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Plenty of compression straps at the sides and top of the bag secure your load and any items you may want to hang off the front of your pack like sleeping pads or trekking poles. Two axe loops and handle straps provide some more places to stash tools to the outside of the pack.
The quick & dirty:
Where you can find one:
Why they rock:
- Pack body is made with 50% Tier 1 recycled ripstop nylon that performs on par with virgin, petroleum-produced materials and can be recycled over and over
- Women-specific geometry features narrow shoulder straps, short shoulder strap padding, a short sternum strap and an anatomically molded hipbelt
- Suspension system features an HDPE framesheet with 2 aluminum stays for stability and load-bearing capacity
- Top compression strap and load lifters effectively control and transfer weight
- Top-loading main compartment holds food, clothing and more; top lid with body-side zippered pocket can be removed to shave weight
- Hydration system compatible
- Side compression straps release and join to opposite side for carrying a snowboard, snowshoes or other winter gear
- Twin ice axe loops and handle straps provide external lash points for tools
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
I honestly don’t think I could have designed a pack better myself. Love that it is made with recycled materials and love that it comes in a variety of sizes so you can get the perfect fit. Personally I am jonesing for the GoLite Pinnacle, but I guess I will wait and see what kind of trips get planned for the year.
Looking to buy? Hereâ€™s where you can get one: