GoLite Jam Pack – ultralight pack made from recycled materials
If you’re looking to go lighter and faster the GoLite Jam Pack will get you moving in the right direction. Weighing in at only 1 lb. 7 oz. for the women’s pack and 1 lb 15 oz. for the men’s pack, this pack is as ultralight as they get. When I first picked up this pack to try it on, I was completely taken aback both by how light it was and the excellent construction.
With a total of five pockets plus the main compartment, the Jam has plenty of places to jam your goods. A front zippered pocket gives you easy access to frequently needed items and two side pouches fit a liter water bottle or secure your trekking poles.
Pockets on the hipbelt are great for stashing your lip balm, a compact digital camera, or some snacks. The main compartment has a nifty cinch top so it is easy to secure and compress your load.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
It is important to note that the Jam Pack is really only designed to carry ultralight loads so you don’t want to be packing in more than 30 pounds in this pack. There is essentially no frame so it would be rather uncomfortable to carry any more than the recommended weight. If you like what you see, but need to be able to carry a bunch more stuff, check out the GoLite Odyssey Pack.
The Quick & Dirty:
Where you can find one:
Why they rock:
- Made from 50% Recycled 210 Denier Nylon Double-Ripstop
- Double-Wishboneâ„¢ hipbelt connection transfers weight efficiently to the hips and features quick-access zippered stretch pockets
- High-void meshes on back panel, hipbelt and shoulder harness move moisture quickly and promote rapid drying
- Removable closed cell foam back pad
- Proprietary ComPACKtorâ„¢ system reduces pack volume via easy to use anchor/strap system| New larger front pocket organizes bulky gear
- Two side stretch pockets hold 1L bottles + trekking poles
- Side compression straps with quick release buckles convert to front attachment system for sleeping pads, snowboards, snowshoes, etc.
- Twin ice axe loops and handle straps
- Cinch & roll-top closure system with top compression strap
- Internal stretch woven hydration sleeve with righty and lefty hydration tube ports
- Adjustable sternum strap with whistle
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 10 out of 10
The GoLite Jam is a pretty sweet ultralight hiking backpack. If you’re keen on the environment you’ll be happy to know that the GoLite Jam Pack is made from 50% Tier 1 recycled ripstop nylon and was honored with a 2010 Backpacker Magazineâ€™s Editors Choice Green Award.
Looking to buy? Hereâ€™s where you can get one: