This might be just the perfect laptop if you’re planning a climb up Mt. Kilimanjaro.
The GoBook XR-1 Rugged Notebook can take some serious abuse, that’s for sure. It is engineered to pass MIL-STD 810F specifications, can operate in -10Â°F to 140Â°F withstand vibration, water and dust intrusion, being dropped 26 times from a distance of 3 feet, and high altitudes and humidity.
All the while, providing decent computing power for a newer laptop. Featuring an IntelÂ® Coreâ„¢ Duo – 1.83GHz processor, up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, and ATI M22-CSP/32 external graphics controller, emovable, shock-mounted, encased, SATA disk drives with built in drive heater for secure boot up and performance in extreme-cold temperatures you can’t ask for much more in the outback. It’s also Microsoft Vista Capable for whenever that gets released.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
One might think you’d have to haul a lead-weight around to have all this, but that’s not the case. Coming in at 6.8lbs, it isn’t your typical ultra-portable with a 12.1″ screen but it’s not going to kill your back either.
Other neat features include:
- The 12.1″ outdoor-viewable transmissive XGA display comes with built-in touchscreen capability
- Full-sized NiteVueâ„¢ ‘glow-in-the-dark’ keyboard. Optional backlit keyboard available for extended night time use
- Choice of easy carrying options: front or back mounted, â€œbat hookâ€ or briefcase-style hard handles, soft handle, or shoulder strap
- Integrated based fingerprint scanner
- Integrated CAC (Smart Card) Reader
- Stealth Mode: allows boot up without sound or light emissions
- Fully-integrated GPS
- Your choice of Media Bay: DVD/CD-RW, DVD-RW/CD-RW, 2nd Battery, None
Be prepared to drop $4330 for the base model.