If you are one of those riders who would rather spend most of your time off piste hitting big lines and cutting fresh tracks through the deep stuff, then you definitely need a good bag thatâ€™ll not only feel like you arenâ€™t wearing anything when you are out on the slopes, but will also easily carry all of you important gear for a day in the backcountry.
While there is certainly something to be said about investing in a Black Diamond pack with an AvaLung, not all skiers and snowboarders are interested in investing in the expensive (albeit potentially life saving) piece of equipment. For those looking for a great, pack for all other avy tools and gear, than this pack is a great choice.
Unlike the DaKine Pro II pack, the Heli Pro DLX allows you to carry your skis or snowboard both vertically and diagonally. The pack also features a retractable ski carry, if you would rather toe your planks or board up the mountain (and it wonâ€™t get tangled when you arenâ€™t carrying your skis).
The Heli Pro ski pack also features a fleece lined goggle pocket that will help keep your goggles free of scratches and super clear for seeing the best lines. It also has an insulated hydration sleeve that will keep your water from freezing. There is also an additional water bottle pocket for extra hydration.
There is also a waterproof, fleece lined pocket for your camera that will protect your gear in case of a fall, but keeps it accessible enough you can snag it to capture your friend hucking a backflip off that cliff. The bag also features a external snow and avy tool pocket, making it easy to reach your important gear when you might need it most.
>>Check out the other best ski and snowboard bags
The Quick & Dirty:
Where you can get one:
Buy DaKine Team Heli Pro DLX 20L Backpack
Why it Rocks:
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
- â€¢ Snug-fitting design keeps the weight close to your body for balance on uneven terrain and ease on chairlifts
- â€¢ Simple, 3-strap system firmly carries your snowboard on the back; retractable Cable Ski Carry holds alpine or backcountry skis and stows cleanly away when not in use
- â€¢ Alternate cross-carry system lets you carry the board horizontally against your back for improved weight distribution and balance
- â€¢ Includes load-compression straps within the board-carrying system
- â€¢ Internal slab pocket with exit port carries a water reservoir (sold separately) for easy hydration on the go
- â€¢ Insulated Hydro Sleeve for hydration drinking tube keeps liquids flowing in the coldest weather
- â€¢ Features an external snow-tool/shovel pocket and quick-draw ice axe sleeve
- â€¢ Deployable side pocket with drawstring and cordlock carries a water bottle; fleece-lined goggle pocket protects your lenses
- â€¢ Waterproof, fleece-lined waistbelt pocket accommodates most digital cameras
- â€¢ Curved, foam-padded shoulder straps with sternum strap; padded hipbelt and mesh-padded back panel with non-slip lumbar pad distribute the load evenly
- â€¢ Polyurethane-coated, 600-denier polyester is lightweight, durable and water resistant
- â€¢ Recommended for riders 5 ft. 7 in. or taller; fits torso lengths 18 in. and longer
Seat-of-the-pants rating: 8 out of 10
If you are looking for a great backcountry bag that is both big enough for a dayâ€™s worth of backcountry and sidecountry essentials and has the ability to carry skis or a snowboard, but is still slim enough to work on a chair lift, than the DaKine Heli Pro Bag is a good choice. The bag features a great external snow-tool and shovel pocket, making sure you can access your most important safety equipment quickly and easily in the event of an avalanche.
The curved, foam padded shoulder straps and padded hipbelt make it super comfortable and the bag is designed to mold to your body, making sure you forget the pack is even there when you are tearing up the slopes and hitting those big mountain lines.
The simple 3-strap carry system also makes it easy to strap a board on (a feature not all ski packs have) and the cable ski carry system makes it easy to carry wither alpine or fatty backcountry skis with no problem. It also allows you to carry you skis or board either vertically, diagonally or horizontally (for snowboards) ensuring that you get even weight distribution for those long hikes.
Looking to Buy? Hereâ€™s where you can get one:
Buy DaKine Team Heli Pro DLX 20L Backpack